Tuesday 10 November 2009

Even schools need 5S

My friend Peh has posted an article in his blog about 5S here. It is written in Chinese but the gist of it is this:

"Japan is a developed country. Visitors Japan are impressed by their cleanliness, discipline and first class service. They excel in many areas especially in the management of 5S.

In contrast, here in Singapore, 5S is not well regarded. Bad housekeeping practices can be seen everywhere including our educational institutions. If our kids are regularly exposed to such messy surroundings in school, when they grow up and join society, they will adopt the same standards."

In contrast Japanese students are indoctrinated with good 5S disciplines in schools. Read about it here.

1 comment:

Zen said...

5S can be considered a science of good housekeeping at all levels of a progressive society. In this area, Japan is undoubtedly a leader. When I was in tokyo, I searched for a dustbin to throw a piece of waste paper but found none in public area and eventually had to dispose this piece of paper inside a shop waste bin. In other words in Japan, I am held responsible to dispose all my unwanted things and if necessary I need to carry them back to my own home to dispose them, not anywhere as I like. People who practise 5S reflect good self discipline and responsibility whether towards their home, work-place or even their country.